Fillings in Mead, WA
If you're experiencing sudden tooth sensitivity or pain, especially when consuming hot, cold, or sweet beverages or biting down, you may have a cavity. Tooth decay can develop in anyone, despite good oral care habits. If you live in Mead, WA, come to MyDentist for an examination to determine whether you require a dental filling.
What Are Dental Fillings?
Tooth decay and cavities are common problems, but they can be treated relatively easily with dental fillings. Getting a dental filling involves removing the decayed portion of a tooth and filling it with a material designed to restore its health, form, function, and integrity. Fillings repair broken, chipped, fractured, or worn teeth, protecting the tooth structure from further deterioration. Cavities left untreated may eventually require root canal therapy or even extraction, which may need a tooth replacement solution, such as an implant crowns, bridge, or partial denture.
How Do I Know if I Need a Filling?
A few signs and symptoms might indicate you have a cavity in your tooth and will need a filling.
- Experiencing throbbing pain or sharp pain in your tooth.
- Feeling pain or sensitivity in the tooth when biting down.
- Having a rough or jagged feeling in the tooth.
- Seeing a visible hole in the tooth.
What Will My Filling Be Made Of?
One of the most popular choices for fillings today are tooth-colored composite fillings. Here’s a look at why:
- They are custom matched to your tooth color, making them less noticeable than other types of fillings.
- They also require less enamel removal than traditional amalgam fillings, so they preserve more of your natural tooth.
- They can be placed in a single appointment because they aren't created in a laboratory.
What Is the Procedure for Filling a Cavity?
The steps required may differ depending on your specific situation, but the general process is as follows:
- We will numb the area with a local anesthetic.
- Next, we'll remove the decayed area of the tooth and then fill the hole.
- The composite filling material will be "cured," or hardened, with a special light.
- Lastly, we'll polish and adjust the filling, so your bite feels comfortable.
How Do I Take Care of My Filling?
You should take care of dental fillings as you would your natural teeth. Twice-daily brushing with fluoride toothpaste and daily flossing can keep your teeth, including fillings, healthy. Eating a balanced diet and limiting the intake of sugary foods and drinks can also stop further tooth damage and decay.
Where Can I Get Tooth-Colored Fillings Near Me?
At MyDentist, we know how important your smile is. We're dedicated to providing our patients in Mead, WA, and surrounding areas with the highest quality dental care. If you suspect you need dental fillings, contact us by calling 509-464-4100 or completing our online form to schedule an appointment today.